In today’s constantly connected world, it’s more important than ever to prioritize our digital health. Fortunately, many smartphone manufacturers have recognized this need and have included tools to help us better manage our phone usage. One such tool is the Digital Wellbeing feature on Android phones.
Digital Wellbeing is a suite of features that helps users track and manage their phone habits. It includes a dashboard that shows daily usage statistics, the ability to set limits for app usage, Wind Down mode to prepare for bed, and Focus mode to eliminate distractions. By using Digital Wellbeing, you can improve your overall digital health and find a more balanced relationship with your phone.
In this article, we’ll walk you through how to enable and use the Digital Wellbeing feature on your Android phone.
Step 1: Enable Digital Wellbeing on your Android phone
To use Digital Wellbeing on your Android phone, you’ll first need to enable the feature in your settings. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings on your phone.
- Scroll down and tap on “Digital Wellbeing & parental controls.”
- Toggle on the Digital Wellbeing feature.
- Set up a screen time password for added security. This will prevent others from changing your Digital Wellbeing settings without your permission.
Step 2: Explore the Dashboard
Once you’ve enabled Digital Wellbeing, you can access the Dashboard by going to Settings > Digital Wellbeing. The Dashboard shows your daily phone usage statistics, including screen time, number of notifications received, and number of times you unlock your phone.
Use the Dashboard to track your phone habits and identify areas for improvement. For example, if you notice that you’re spending a lot of time on social media, you might consider setting a daily limit for those apps.
Step 3: Set daily limits for app usage
Digital Wellbeing allows you to set limits for specific apps to reduce the amount of time you spend on them. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings > Digital Wellbeing > [App] > App Timer.
- Set a daily limit for the app.
- When you reach your daily limit, the app will be grayed out on your home screen to remind you to take a break.
Step 4: Use Wind Down mode to prepare for bed
One of the most useful features of Digital Wellbeing is Wind Down mode, which helps you prepare for bed by silencing notifications and switching your phone to grayscale. Here’s how to set it up:
- Go to Settings > Digital Wellbeing > Wind Down.
- Set a daily schedule for Wind Down mode to automatically turn on at a certain time every day.
- When Wind Down mode is on, your phone will switch to grayscale, turn off all notifications, and play a bedtime story or white noise to help you relax and fall asleep.
Step 5: Use the Focus mode to eliminate distractions
If you need to concentrate on a task without distractions, try using Focus mode. This feature disables certain apps and reduces notifications to help you stay focused. Here’s how to use it:
- Go to Settings > Digital Wellbeing > Focus mode.
- Add the apps that you want to block while you’re in Focus mode.
- When you turn on Focus mode, these apps will be disabled and you’ll receive fewer notifications.
The Digital Wellbeing feature on Android phones is a valuable tool for managing your phone usage and improving your overall digital health.